Tuesday, August 17, 2010

You made the kids do what???

Well, we've done the unthinkable.  We have schooled while on vacation...and the children loved it!  We had our "wrap" party for our Seashell Unit Study tonight (shout out to Amanda Bennett's Download 'N Go Unit Studies!)

 Here are the girls with their finished Lapbooks!

Dinner was a little crazy...we had octopus bratwursts and seashell cupcakes for dessert.  I told the girls we were having octopus for dinner so that they could say they had truly experienced a cephalopod in every aspect! Lucca volunteered to fast dinner! They were so relieved when they actually saw dinner...
Tasty Cephalopods!

Cupcake kudos go to this neat lady...I don't know her, but I know I'd like her!  Her ideas are amazing!


Seashell Cupcakes

The lapbooks turned out too cute...


They also made these cute seashell boxes.  They are only allowed to bring home as many shells as fit in the box!  How's that for some planning ahead Mommy thinkin'???

Willow's Shell Box


Lucca's Shell Box

I also laminated a Quick Shell Identification Guide for each child...they loved having their own and even created a pocket in their lapbooks for it!

I am trying so hard to re-define school and this has been such a lovely start.  I found school boring and oftentimes ridiculous.  I have enjoyed no part of my didactic years (and there have been MANY of them.)  I look forward to seeing my girls loving learning.  My goal as a homeschooling mom is to instill the 3 most basic tenants there are:  to love God, to love others and to love learning. We're off to a good start this year!



Disclaimer: I take NO responsibility (even though she IS my child) for Lucca's pony tail.  That's a look (sure is a look) that she is perfecting herself and I have nothing to do with nor do I plan to ever have anything to do with!


5 comments:

  1. love it! wish I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that's just awesome! You've totally inspired me! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your blog through facebook -download and go
    I love your lapbooks , they are so neat and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Teresa. Obviously, I helped Lucca (5) quite a bit, but Willow did her own. I'm working on stepping back and letting it be their project...not mine. The cute file folders came from the Dollar Tree. 4 for $1...they are $1 each at Staples so I was a little giddy over my deal! Thanks for looking...new to this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You used the cupcake recipe!!! :) That is fantastic! I didn't know anyone actually would. :) It looks like you had a fantastic week here; nothing is too unthinkable for a homeschooling mom. :)

    I enjoyed reading this. I like the way you write & your girls are adorable! Tell them they did a great job!

    :) Ami
    (from Walking by the Way)

    ReplyDelete